Ursa’s Nutty Granola
(adapted from the Organic Granola recipe from the Planet Organic cookbook)
I like to use as much organic ingredients in this recipe as possible.
- 3 cups slow-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds (or 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, 1/2 cup sunflower seeds)
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup almonds, whole or roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 3/4 – 1 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup honey & agave nectar
- 1 cup dried fruit – raisins, blueberries, cranberries, chopped apricots
Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine oats, nuts, seeds, coconut, cinnamon, salt. In a 2 cup glass measuring cup, melt coconut oil. Add the maple syrup, honey and agave nectar. Pour this mixture over the dry ingredients. Stir well to combine.
Divide mixture onto two cookie sheets, place both in oven on two racks (both in the middle area). Bake 1-2 hours, stirring every 20 minutes. Rotate the two sheets between the two racks. When nuts and oats are toasty brown, remove from oven. Let cool. Place in airtight container, add berries, close the lid and shake container to mix.
Enjoy with milk as a cereal, with yogurt, or dry as a snack.
Feel free to try other nut and/or seed combinations in this blend.